Featured at the first Inn to Inn Herb Tour in 2009, this summertime side dish also makes a great appetizer when served with toasted pita triangles.
- 1 small to medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup dried small French lentils
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Peel and seed cucumber and cut into ½ inch dice. Sprinkle cucumber lightly with ½ teaspoon salt and set aside. Combine 4 cups water, lentils, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt in a two quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are just tender, about 15 to 25 minutes. Drain cucumber and pat dry. Drain lentils. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, dill, basil, vinegar, oil, and pepper. Toss in hot lentils and allow to cool to room temperature.
Yield: 4 – 6 servings as a side dish or may be served as a dip with toasted pita triangles.