Let’s celebrate National Waffle Day (August 24) all month ~ this special breakfast treat deserves it. Why August 24? The date marks Cornelius Swarthout’s patenting of the waffle iron on that day in 1689. (As a bonus, International Waffle Day, which originated in Sweden, is March 25, so plan to celebrate again when winter winds blow).
Cooking flat cakes between two pans can be traced back the Greece, while waffles first came to New England with the Pilgrims who discovered them during their stay in Holland before reaching the shores of Massachusetts. The Inn at Ellis River often features Belgian Waffles as the sweet entree at breakfast, but sometimes we’ll surprise you with a savory option. Creating flavored waffles is easy ~ just add cinnamon, citrus rind, citrus oil such as lemon or orange, or natural extracts such as maple, banana, or almond for easy waffle variations. Chocolate lovers? Just add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa to each cup of prepared waffle batter. Substituting melted brown butter for the regular melted butter in your recipe for waffle batter also is an easy variation,
Savory options can be Cheddar waffles with a bacon, and melted Cheddar garnish, or perhaps the traditional combination of chicken and waffles made with a cornmeal waffle. Among our ideas for sweet waffles this month are:
- Traditional Belgian Waffles topped with fresh mangoes and strawberries
- PeachMelba waffle with peaches, raspberries, and raspberry couli
- Brown Butter waffles topped with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries & strawberries ~ Berrylicious!
- Almond waffles with fresh nectarines, toasted almonds, and Amaretto maple syrup
- Black Forest waffles ~ chocolate waffles with fresh cherries, bittersweet chocolate chips, & Kirsh flavored whipped cream
- Lemon waffles with candied ginger and gingerbread syrup
- Maple waffles with sliced bananas and bacon
- Brown Butter waffles with sliced nectarines and blueberries
- Chocolate waffles with strawberries, chocolate chips & caramel syrup ~ almost like eating chocolate covered strawberries!
- Lemon waffles with fresh necatarines and gingerbread syrup
- Cinnamon waffles with fresh blueberries, banana slices, and cinnamon sugar
- Pair maple glazed grilled pineapple with a maple waffle
- Pineapple and strawberries are a great combo on a traditional waffle